Monday, December 10, 2007

Running from the Sun - Update IV

The manuscript is growing like most radioactive monsters grow- it's up to 109 pages now and I think I am closing in on the end of "Part One" in a few chapters or so. I am really just begining to realise just how ambitious this project of mine really is. Years of a child's life and years of history fleshed out and made as real as possible for the reading public to soak in and feel.

Because the historical backdrop is so sensitive and often timese seldom talked about or discussed, the actual resources I have at my disposal are kinda sparce.
The Isei generation have passed on so their memories have passed on with them or passed on to their surviving Nisei children. And those Nisei who have experienced internment, how many speak out about their experiences and of the injustices as well as their personal tragedies and triumphs?

I think I am nearing the 1/3rd done benchmark and hope to see this book released before April. At about ten pages a night plus editing, I think I can get this book polished and presented to the publishers. Now whether this book will be seen and read or find itself flying off any shelves anytime soon will remain to be seen. I have a sinking feeling that this book will be somewhat huge and cost prohibitive to most book readers.

But you cannot abridge history or gloss over a story this poignant.
I don't think this story and this chapter of history deserves to be treated like a brochure or pamphlet-sized greeting card or note of consolation and condolence.

Because this work is very different than any of my other works about vampires, ghosts, and things that go bump in the night, I am not sure just how well this book will be recieved by what fans I might have. I am hoping that they will see this book for what it really is- a poignant historical fiction of a fear that is very real and very much relevent to even today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home