Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Approaching an Anniversary

On October 31st, 2003, I began work on what would soon become my 1st published novel and begin what I hoped to be a sucsessful writing career. In May of 2003, "Dancing with the Moon" debuted on my grandmother's birthday- my first novel. The debut party at Fuji's Sushi Resteraunt in West Hartford, Connecticut. Me and several close friends toasted what I hoped to be the begining of a lifelong dream come true. In that year I sold maybe 80+ copies of my first book and made about $1,200.

It is now October 30th, 2007. I've since added 4 more published works, 1 short story feature in a fan magazine, Dark Thoughts, and 1 published interview in Dark Presses issue #4. All my books have been reviewed with acclaim. My books are featured in an on-line writing course taught in California. My books have recorded a sale or two in the U.K.

I have sold a total of 130+ copies of my books. Not what I hoped for or expected of myself or my works. I can say some years I sold absolutely nothing and maybe saw only 6 hits on my book websites. As a self-published author, I am constantly frustrated with the business side of my work but so passionate about writing. The stories I try to present are what I hold to be some of my best work at the time of publication. Yet they go unseen, unrecognized, and very much un-read.

It is even more frustrating to be an unknown, struggling author on a shoestring budget unable to make appearences or book tours. Publicity is either through creative blogging, live journaling, or just plain word of mouth.

I suppose what hurts me most is the fact that as much as I try and innovate and improve upon a genre of writing, I am percieved to be "just another vampire writer" or "another wanna-be Stephen King or Anne Rice". I don't mind being compared to the greats, if they feel my work might measure up to their standards for great literature... but to say I want to be them is kind of stupid. What aspiring writer wouldn't want that instant recognition and fame? Who wouldn't want even a pinch of their talent? But as far as considering me a wanna-be or carbon copy, if you bother to read my works, you'll see my style and my characters are uniquely my own (for better or worse).

The intention is not to be Stephen King or Anne Rice- only to be David Conlin McLeod. I work for my sucsesses as well as my failures as did they. In the end, it is my name on my books and my heart and soul in my stories- bottom line. I may write in the stylings of King or Rice or Hamilton or Dickens even... but style is not the same thing as substance. The substance is all me 100%. Otherwise, it isn't my work and it isn't honest. You can compare all you want so long as it is understood- I do not want to be anything more or less than the best David Conlin McLeod. King doesn't need my help and neither does Rice or James Patterson or H.P Lovecraft or anyone else. I do not need their help either to build a story- only the inspiration that they have already provided from their own hard work and sacrifices. I only need to know that they have paved the way for others to follow their footsteps and general directions. Once I am on their road, there comes a time for me to start paving my own.

Maybe early on, I really wanted to be the next Stephen King. Now that I have a few books under my belt, I feel this way: It is better to be the first David Conlin McLeod than the next of someone else. I want to pioneer something and pave a way for others to follor so that they too can be inspired to explore similar roads and paths.

Similar roads and paths- its not the same as wanting to become or emmulate that which inspired you. It's taking what you see and making it your own with your own imagination and creativity.
I could never be Stephen King or Anne Rice. Sooner or later my own voice would emerge from the mimicry and masquerade. Peering through the copy of King or Rice, my voice and my charaters would emerge. It would not be the same.

Anyway- yes there are times I wish I had what they had- but I never wish to write anything less than pure David Conlin McLeod. The fans I do have deserve nothing less of me. And they are smart enough to know that if they want a wanna-be, they are better served by seeking the real deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home