Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Two Past Twilight

Two Past Twilight is a unique book I wrote that contains two short novellas I wrote in February and November of 2003. The book was published like "Dancing with the Moon" by Trafford Publishing.
The first story in the book is entitled "Ghost Story". The premise is rather simple in a "Twilight Zone" sort of fashion. What if a lost soul of a vampire wandered into a dead town that he once knew and discovered upon entry that everything he knew of himself was being stolen from him? And what if these stolen memories could only be returned with the telling of a story? And what if the story is told from the lips of ghosts and spirits he had left behind?
What if the ghosts themselves had a story of their own that needed telling? And what if this story made this lost soul complete again?

I admit it now Two Past Twilight hasn't made much money. It's one of those books that may somehow get lost in the shuffle. And looking back at it, although I love the stories I have written for this book, this is definitely the work of a writer still searching for his unique voice and style.
The ideas are sound, but the language and mechanics need refinement. I figure the investment however saw returns with the third and fourth books I have released.

The second story, "Wish" is one of my favorites for lots of reasons. One, this story was written on a dare. A friend of mine, Andrea F. dared me to incorpate gymnastics with vampires and encouraged me to write out these ideas I was too afraid to see in print. Second, this story involves a character I had always wanted to bring out- and this character for me, was another way for me to approach the idea of a vampire. The "shadow-man". The visitor or "shadow-man" is in fact a bogey-man and a vampire of a different sort. He doesn't steal blood for his only kicks- he steals children's wishes and makes them his own.

So in "Wish", we meet a young 11 yr. old girl named Alyssa. All Alyssa wants out of life is to be allowed to live without getting picked on so much by her bullies Sarah and Kristen. Alyssa just wants to be like everyone else and get some of the respect she deserves. She believes that if she were a gymnast like some of the other girls in her class, she can get that respect and show everyone in her class that she's more than just some bookwormy girl.
So one night she makes several wishes and who should overhear these wishes but of course the "shadow-man". The crux of the story is the game this creature plays with Alyssa in twisting her dreams and wishes around to his own end. I think though by the end of the story, you'll see that Alyssa catches on pretty quick to how these games are played. I leave the ending up to the reader's imagination. Though I think by now I might right a little sequel and follow up on Alyssa and see how she's doing now.

(Hint-hint) In my latest book, "Chasing Shadows: Tales of East River" Alyssa makes a little appearence at East River Gymnastics. So at least we know she is still a gymnast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home